SAHS Debate Team is looking for New Members! No experience necessary!
Do you like to argue?
- Do you have strong opinions?
- Are you competitive?
- Are you looking for something new to try out?
Our season is about to kick off and we're looking for new members. Don't worry if you've never debated before, or if you're nervous about speaking in front of a (small) audience. We can teach you those skills, and you'll have fun learning.
There are so many benefits to debate: You will:
- become stronger in reading, speaking, researching, note-taking, argument-building, critical thinking, and questioning
- meet new people and make lasting friendships
- gain experience that looks great on a college application
- become more involved and aware of issues in the world
- gain confidence
- have an opportunity to earn a Stillwater activities letter
- have fun (really, it's a lot of fun)
There's a lot to learn at first, but you'll pick it up quickly. A few things that a lot of people don't know about debate:
- you'll work with a partner
- first-year debaters only debate against first-year debaters
- usually, the only people in a round are your team, your opponent, and the judge
- this year, our debates will be held online, so you don't have to travel
- for our first topic, you won't even have to write your own cases--our captains are already writing them. You'll learn how to argue those cases.
- we debate two topics in a season
- everyone qualifies for state, even if you have never won a round (don't worry, though, because everyone wins rounds at some point)
Our season runs from September through early December. We practice after school (most likely online), and have Saturday tournaments. For our tournaments, I'm planning that you and your partner will come to school, and debate online in your own room. You don't have to attend all the tournaments, and are expected to practice a minimum of twice / week. We will try to work around your schedule as best we can.
If you'd like to know more, please visit www.tinyurl.com/ponydebate and drop us a line. We'll be in touch. Have a friend who might be interested too? Join together as a team.
If you're a returning debater, please also visit the site and let us know you're coming back!
*For more information, please contact the head coach*
Start Date: September
End Date: Early December
Day One: TBD
Meeting Days: Practice after school; Saturday Tournaments.
Meeting Times: Practice after school
Location: Mostly online
Student Information Meeting: TBD
Parent/Guardian Meeting: TBD
Registration on SmartSchoolK12 is required.
$165 Participation Fee.